Wednesday 28 September 2011

SCOOOOOOTLAND vs Las Pumas!

So as I mentioned previously, Ann and I had these yellow tartan blankets with us. We turned them into kilts, then painted our faces the blue and white Scottish flag. Also, we wore fleece pants, and I had the absolutely BRILLIANT idea of wearing bright coloured undies to flash the camera with! :D. This was the only game we had sitting all together, and it was unfortunate that Hilary didn't have a blanket, but it was the most fun I've had at a game yet! Our seats were about halfway up, and halfway in on the side of the oval. The crowd was a good mix, though let me tell you: those Argies sure know how to cheer for a team! They had drums and whistles in the stadium, and had a good chant that they'd all sing. I would say one of the best, and rather key, components of RWC is the fans and costumes; we create the atmosphere, and it's a very peaceful gathering of boisterous and drunk and LOUD people. It's great :).

Anywho, so we got to our seats, and looking over our right shoulders, who's sitting there but the Scottish players who weren't playing that evening! And they were so attractive! Ann and I were brave enough to go over and snap a quick picture, and I don't even know who they are or what positions they were playing, but I got start struck! They were good sports about it and smiled for the camera. My hands were shaking and my legs felt like jelly as we walked away! We watched the first half, laughing at the two bickering Scottish and Argentinian fans a few rows below us, and actually at one point, it looked like it might get a bit sour, so when the crowd quieted down a bit, I bellowed "Oi! Boys, settle down!" in classic keeping the peace Canadian fashion :). So after the first half, Ann and I, both anxious to get on the jumbo tron, moved to the near empty Category D seats behind the Argentinian try zone. It was raining like a SOB and windy, but those seats were just great; it was like you could reach out and touch the players. The camera man situated behind the try zone turned the camera on us, though I don't think we got on the jumbo tron. Ah well, points for a valiant effort though, as we stayed behind for half an hour, hoping we'd get on screen with all the cheering Argentinian fans. After the game, it was back to the hostel for a supposed change, then out on the town, still dressed in our game attire. It was a fun night, though we had to get up early the next day because Kieth was going to take us fishing by the sea, near the Kapiti Coast (or so we thought, turns out we were on the opposite coast!).

No comments:

Post a Comment