Wednesday 28 September 2011

Camping in the City

The walk back into the city and to our new hostel, Rosemere Backpackers, was a lot easier for me because we had eaten a lot of the weight that was bogging me down, plus the way I had packed it to get out to Matui-Sommes was a bit silly: I had my backpack, my tent strapped to the bottom of my backpack, and my daybag with cans strapped to it. It was a much longer walk to this new hostel from Queen's Wharf, and there was a hill at the end of it, making it a bit exhausting. We got here to find that there is no secure locker for our things, which was a bit of a concern for me as we're not sleeping in the building. Also, we are paying $30/night on the weekends and we were told there was only room for two tents , so I definitely wasn't impressed. However, now that I've been here for a few days, it's actually pretty decent. It's only four blocks to Courtney Place, which I can't remember if I've mentioned is the happening part downtown part of Wellington, and also their lawn isn't somewhere people generally notice. The first couple days I carted my computer and other things everywhere with me, but like I said the gate is pretty inconspicuous, so I don't think anyone hardly notices the lawn. There's also free breakfast, and free 1/2 hour internet, so all in all, I'm not to surplussed that we're paying to sleep on somebody's lawn.

So Friday night was the USA vs Australia game! I cheered for the Wallabies, who kicked ass, when I was watching the game. I say that because I ended up sitting beside a petrolium engineer from Calgary. He has one heck of a skookum camera, a Canon S-LR with a nice lense, I had some definite and clear camera envy for sure. He gave me a quick lesson in photography, and even let me take some pictures, and furthermore, it came up in conversation that he had 3 tickets to the Canada-Japan game on September 27th in Napier for sale, and for only $40+free ride up to Napier (4-5 hour drive). This of course, intercepts our Catchpool Valley plans, but I'm here for World Cup, and you have to take these opportunities when they come! Ann and I went out Friday night while Hilary stayed in as she had developed some blisters on her toes from walking with our heavy backpacks I guess. Ann and I took it easy, though at this time I can't exactly remember the details of the night- this weekend has just kind of melded into one big, long stretch of time. Saturday saw us hit the hot tub at the local pool to soak, and then *drum roll pleeeease!* I PLAYED RUGBY! Well just buggers, on the beach, but it's the first time I've touched a ball and ran around with it since I buggered myself. And man, let me tell you, that was my favourite day of the whole trip up until then. We met up with Serena, the Canadian girl from the Fanzone at the Canada-Tonga game, and some of her new friends, all of them having no rugby playing experience. There was a good ten of us, so we were able to divide up into even teams and start playing. Our game attracted a small audience and more players. It was super fun, and at the end of it, we were all definitely ready for some beer! I was super proud of myself for getting out there and still managing to play with the same passion and tenacity, though perhaps a bit more caution, as I used to. I did twinge my knee slightly, but after a couple minutes making sure I was okay, I was right back into the game. I am thinking I might be able to play tackle at a leisure level again someday, as long as I'm taped right up, maybe get one of them fancy braces. It was just the greatest.

So Saturday night. I'm not sure how it worked out, but we were invited to Kieth's house for dinner and to watch the All Blacks-France game. He picked us up and was teasing us that he had a tiny caravan filled with rats and possums, hopefully they would have vacated by the time we got there. Not really knowing the man, I believed him, and of course to my surprise, we arrived to 71 Dundin Street, Seatoun (a suburb of Welly). He built his house himself, out of recylcled materials which came from old buildings they had to demolish or renevate to make earthquake safe. He has loads of stories, so we traded some, enjoyed a beer or wine, then his other guests arrived. Rob, one of Kieth's coworkers/boss, and his wife and their two boys, Fraser and Levon, showed up first, then Simon, whom I think is Kieth's cousin?, then Kenneth and another fellow, can't remember his name, then his sister and her grand daughter arrived. Rob's wife and I prepped fruit salad for dessert, while Hilary was on top of salad making. We had some good conversations, the meal was great, and then the rugby afterwards totally topped off the evening, making it a true Kiwi experience; good food, good people, good rugby. As I said, the match was between New Zealand and France, who typically knock the All Blacks out of the quarter finals. It was a good match, and thankfully, the home team took it for the win! The girls and I caught a ride back to the hostel with Kieth's sister, and headed to bed so that we could get up early to go out to Catchpool with Kieth, whom had kindly offered to take us out there and show us around for a few hours since he had to go out there anyway to grab something.

It's a bit bizarre to be on the left hand side of the road, especially if you're sitting in the passenger seat; I'm not so sure driving here would be a good idea until I get more driving-places-in-a-car experience under my belt! Anywho, we got out to Catchpool just in time for the rain. We walked around for about an hour and a half, of course getting soaked, but I think it was much more beautiful in the rain than it would have been if it was sunny out; everything is always greener when it pours. Kieth pointed out animal tracks, plants, and a few different bird species us to snap pictures of along the way, in between listening to his stories about the place and tell him about ourselves. He's a really funny man, full of P&V and a shithead (I mean that in the best possible way); he's always pulling your leg and cracking jokes. Besides that, he's just one of those truly beautiful people in the world, so genuine and kind hearted, and always up for a laugh. I would liken him to a godfather or great uncle, or a really young [hearted] grandpa.

So after we had our nice walk in the rain, Kieth took us for coffee at his friends Pat and Ruth's house. Again, Kiwi hospitality just keeps blowing me away, and you can be sure it is one of the few things I hope to take away from this trip and pass along to others. Pat gave us warm, dry clothes, made us coffee and a hot lamb sandwhich (first time having lamb!), and let Ann and I borrow a couple tartan blankets to take for the car ride, and then let us take them not only to the game, but out on the town as well! Furhtermore, they offered us a room if we would ever need or like one. Back at Kieth's, we ate some ___ fish and again shared stories around the table- the man not only has a ridiculous amount of them, he sure can tell 'em too! Then it was back to the hostel to prep for the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment