Thursday 29 September 2011

Napier: Canada vs Japan

The next morning (Tuesday), I was up around 7 to catch some free brekky and pack up my tent and my backpack. I was happy that I had enough time left when I was finished to hop in the shower as I didn't know what my accommodation for the night would be and was starting to become a smelly individual. Mike showed up just after 9 o' clock, and as soon as we got our packs into the trunk, we were off!
He's a really funny guy, this Mike. He's 32ish, with a wife and two young kids, but still a very fun guy to be around. The drive was good, a bit long (four and a half hours to travel 300km) and we had to go through the really windy stretch again, our stomachs (especially the next day!) weren't too happy about it. We made a few stops along the way, including the Tui brewery, but we made it to Napier around 2, enough time to try and find accommodation at a hostel, which there wasn't any, no surprise. We checked out this campsite in the middle of town, where they did have room, but it was $27/night, and I, for one, didn't really plan on sleeping too much and I was able to keep my stuff in the trunk of the car, so I backed out. Ann and Hilary decided to spend the night there, and after she got her tent set up, Hilary, Mike and I went to go find a park for the car, and see if we could get into this Irish pub that had gone "loonie" so to speak. Ann had wanted a shower, so she stayed behind at the campsite and we were going to meet her at the pub. However, it was much too crowded, and so we just decided to go to the stadium.

There were heaps of people, many dressed up in costumes, walking there, fans bantering at eachother, I photobombed some people, it was fun. After we'd gone through bag check, Hilary and I headed to the merch' tent to pick up a Canadian jersey. I was in line first and unluckily, there was only one game jersey, the one we both wanted, left! Because I was already wearing my '03 RWC Canada jersey and she only had a red tank top, I let Hilary have it. They have them at stores and will be at the Canada vs NZ game, so I didn't mind giving it to her. I bought some beer- Heinekin tastes awful out of a can- on the way to our seats, and we painted faces while we waited nervously for Ann to show up as we knew she wasn't going to be a happy camper; there was a communication breakdown re: cell phones, so Ann didn't know to go straight to the stadium. Anywho, she arrived, before kick off, I painted her face, and we both got right into the game, her unhappiness very soon forgotten in our chanting and screaming. She had also procured a Canadian flag, which we drew a beard on with black face paint.

It was a great game to watch, a close game, and the best thing ever to be cheering for the home country. I was yelling at the players, taking so many photos on Ann's camera, being an entertaining and happy drunk, supporting Canada, openly admiring KB's beard (it's seriously so magnificent, even Santa Claus would be hard pressed to replicate a beard of that magnificence!). Our boys played well, with heart, but they couldn't sneak the win, finishing the match with a 23-23 draw. After the end whistle blew, the Canadians walked around the field, and so Ann and I, jumped up and down, waving our bearded flag at them. They all pretty much smiled and waved (some of them were soooo hot!) and took a team photo, then walked to the other side of the field and mingled with the Category D fans. Mer :(. Ah well!

The walk back to the car after the game was just as fun and jovial as getting there; people were laughing and cheering, although boisterously drunk (or more so)! We got back to the car, and drank some Tui, bought earlier at the brewery, on the beach and BS'd until we were ready to go out. First we went to that Irish pub, The Rose, but it was PACKED and we had to wait in line for ever, where we met some guys from Williams Lake, of all places. Luckily Mike knew somebody who was on the patio, so we just waited until the bouncers weren't looking and woop! snuck in! Like I said, it was packed, so we chatted with some Frenchies, then peaced to The Blue Water, a bar/hotel(?), about an hours walk away- which you can bet we cabbed! We went there because we heard that that's where the Canadians were. They were, but they were upstairs, which you weren't allowed to go to because of that fact. No matter, we met more Canadians hanging out, and Phil Mackenzie, the #13 (Inside center), came down. I couldn't work up the courage to talk to him, parce que je suis un petit poulet, but I did eventually say hi, after Steve, one of the new Canadian guys we were with, started talking to him. It was just a hello, but no matter, we were enjoying ourselves. It was hilarious: so Mike had ordered a big bottle, 750 mL aka a two-six, of Speights, but the bartender had given him a little glass, a sippy cup really, to drink it with, whereas I, a small, blonde girl, ordered a giant mug of Tui. Hehe!

After we were done with The Blue Water, we headed to the Thirsty Whale, a bar/club about ten minutes walk away. It was a good atmosphere, and it was here that I met more Canadian players, and some Japanese players as well. I was fairly drunk when we got there, but somehow, magically almost, people just kept buying me beer. Sidebar: I drink so much beer, like pretty much every day I have at least one. Beer gut is forming, must do some preemptive excercise! Eventually the four of us had split up, Ann and Hilary having gone home around 1/1:30am, and Mike and I were off doing our own things respectively, though we had agreed to meet at the door when the bar closed. Anywho, so during the odd hour and a half, I ended up bumping into Matt Evans, the Canadian fly half (#10) who has a very Cary Elwes-esque handle bar moustache, though I was a bit rude and said "What's with the 'stache?" Obviously he didn't like that, and cut our conversation short. I continued on my way and ended up hanging out with some really tall Canadian gents (not players) who were props. They picked me up a la scrum, and then we got some more people in on it, possibly-probably some Japanese players (I was pretty intoxicated) and had a scrum in the middle of the dance floor! Ha ha! Good sports! Then the Japanese guys were trying to get me to do a shot, but I knew I wouldn't be able to stomach it, so I cheersed them with my beer, or rather, "Kumpai!"d. After that, I probably went to the bathroom, and then made my way back to the bar, trying to find Mike. I ended up talking with a couple Canadian players, Jamie Mackenzie (the other brother) scrum half, and the number 22- sorry man can't remember your name- who came in for Pritchard during the game. After we finished our conversation, I continued on my search for Mike, who I correctly thought had left, then returned to the bathroom- apparently this is the most calm place in a bar- where I met this other Canadian chick who was very kind and said I could catch a ride with her to wherever I needed to go (which I didn't know where that was!). I can't wait until I get my iPhone situation figured out, having the maps will be invaluable in situations like this! Anywho, I returned for one last look around, then found Steve whom I caught a cab back to the waterfront with around 3am. Mike was in the car, thankfully, and so he and I BS'd for a few minutes before we both PTFO'd. It was a ridiculously fun night, and in the morning I was in definite need of some coffee before we drove the 4 hours back to Wellington.

Mike dropped us off at the Te Papa museum. After all our stuff had been expelled from the trunk (passers by wondered how it all could fit in the trunk), we said our goodbyes and thank yous, and parted ways. The girls and I headed to the library to get on the internet, which unfortunately didn't work on our laptops because the connection sucked. When we were done, Kieth picked us up and we headed to his house to spend the night.
We picked up some steak, and I bought a new adaptor, which I am happy to say does not fall out of the wall and my plugs stay in. Once home, I plugged in my computer, then went down to the kitchen to help prep dinner, peeling potatoes, chopping onions, etcetera, etcetera. I was feeling pretty grungy and gross, and also majorily hungover, so I hopped in the shower before we ate. When I came back down, I was pretty surprised to learn that I was in charge of cooking the steak- I know, right?! For those of you that know me, my prowess in the kitchen doesn't equate to much. It turned out to be a pretty swell evening, good food, good wine, good people. Matt, the ranger from Matui-Sommes, stopped by for a few minutes too. After dessert, we headed upstairs to watch some Leonard Cohen before calling 'er a night around 10 to get some very much needed sleep!

Thursday, well today, was a very relaxing day, up around 9, and we had bacon and eggs for breakfast! They cut their bacon in circles over here as opposed to strips, but it still tastes the same, so yum! Heh I whisked the eggs this time, and they didn't drop! I seemed to have redeemed myself! Although later, I spilt tea all over myself, so maybe not... Ranger Matt came over for breakfast which was nice, after which Ann and I headed out for a walk along the beach in the sunshine and suprisingly gentle wind! It was glorious, I snapped some great photos, and we collected some shells to make necklaces out of. After about an hour, we headed back to Kieth's to pack up our things before heading out to Simon's house. We met Simon on Saturday at Kieth's, and he lives closer to Westpac Stadium than Kieth, so we've decided to bunk here for the weekend. Once we got here, we got internet figured out, and Ann and Hilary went to the grocery store to buy some food while I opted to just chill out and get some much needed catching up done on my writing! I guess they got side tracked by a Dollar Store because they came back with a ton of red and white stuff for the Canada-NZ game! I can't wait, it's going to be so much fun!!!! And that's all I have for now! I will update all on Monday morning with plans and such, as that's the day we're planning on starting the trek up north to Auckland and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment